Am I Eligible for Social Security Disability Back Pay?2013-03-09 14:18:54 (GMT) (Caymanmama.com - News Providers News)
03/03/2013 // Wright Disability Firm // Wright & Wright // (press release)
Nearly all Social Security Disability applicants who are approved for benefits are also eligible to receive back pay due to the length of time it typically takes to process a claim. Upon approval, applicants who are awarded SSDI or SSI may receive back pay dating back to when they originally filed their claim, or in some cases an even earlier date. Back payments are typically awarded in a lump sum if one is approved for SSDI benefits but may be split into multiple payments for SSI.
Multiple factors determine how much back pay an applicant may receive. Three key factors include:
The Alleged Onset Date (AOD) of a Disability – When one became disabled is another key factor for determining a back pay award. For SSDI cases the AOD is typically the date the applicant was first unable to work due to the disabling condition. For SSI cases the AOD may be when the claimant stopped working; however, SSA only uses the Date of Application as the starting point of the disability period.
Date of Application – The date a person files their application with SSA is a key consideration in determining the time frame for awarding back pay upon approval. Some SSDI cases may go back and award benefits one year from the date the claim was filed; however SSI benefits only typically start the date of the application.
Waiting Period – With regard to SSDI benefits, a five-month waiting period may apply. During this period, the first five months of an approved applicant’s benefits are withheld prior to beginning payments. The Social Security Administration can provide more information about this and other related factors online.
The Social Security Disability advocates of Wright & Wright can provide support for those who need help filing a SSI or SSD claim. For more information about filing for SSD, individuals may contact Wright & Wright to request a free case evaluation today.
Address: San Antonio, Texas 78269
Phone: (888) 960-7734
CaymanMama.com - Press Release Distribution Service
- Child Custody: A Guide to the Holidays for Separated and Divorced Parents
- Raleigh Divorce Lawyers Create Web Portal with Info on North Carolina Family Law
- Child Support in North Carolina: Part I
- Be Instantly Accessible With The Right Legal Website Design
- Vlogging an Emerging Internet Marketing Trend for Lawyers
- The Importance of a Law Firm’s website URL For SEO
- SEO Maybe the Most Cost Effective Marketing for Lawyers
- Simple Steps for Great Law Firm Internet Marketing
- Weighing SEO and PPC for Law Firm Marketing
- Social Media Marketing Reaches Audience More Effectively